What to Do After a Road Debris Injury Accident?

Posted by

Debris on the road can be extremely dangerous for any driver who encounters it. Even something as innocent as a cardboard box can cause you to swerve and cause an accident.

What should you do if you get in an accident due to debris lying or, worse, flying on the road? Would your insurance cover the potential damage to your vehicle? Who would be held responsible? Let’s find out.

First, Call the Police

If road debris caused a crash, the first thing to do is call 911. If you or anyone else is injured, make sure you seek medical attention immediately.

Filing a report with the police is necessary to get proof of everything that happened so that any responsible party can be held liable. You’ll also need the police report to file your insurance claim.

Contact Your Insurance Company

While waiting for the police and paramedics to arrive, call your insurance company to notify them about the accident. The coverage you’ll get will depend on whether the debris was lying or flying on the road.

Accident with Debris Lying on the Road

Severe Auto Accident

If debris was lying on the road, and you have no idea who left it there, you need to file a collision claim. However, you’ll need to pay a deductible, because these kinds of accidents are considered at-fault accidents, meaning they’re avoidable.

If you ever encounter any kind of debris lying on the road, try and resist the urge to swerve. It’s a natural reflex to do so, but you may only cause more damage. You may hit something or someone else and cause extensive damage and serious injuries.

That being said, if you do hit a object lying on the road, and there’s not much damage to your vehicle, filing an insurance claim may not be very wise. You don’t have to pay a deductible that exceeds the damage to your vehicle.

Accident with Debris Flying on the Road

In the case of debris flying out of another vehicle and hitting your vehicle, you can file a comprehensive claim. You also need to pay a deductible here, but it’s usually much lower than concerning a collision claim.

If you get in an accident caused by flying debris, the responsible party’s liability insurance should cover your vehicle damage and any potential injuries.

If they happen to flee the scene and you don’t get their insurance information, or if they don’t have insurance, your UIM (Uninsured Motorist) policy should cover you. It will cover any damage to your vehicle and any potential medical expenses.

If you ever get in a road debris accident and you sustain any kind of injury, Vasilatos Injury Law can help you with injury compensation, as well as holding the responsible party liable. We have a team of experts who can help you get the right compensation you deserve.

Contact us today to schedule a free consultation!

Vasilatos Injury Law maintains this website exclusively for informational purposes only. This web site is not intended to create and does not create an attorney-client relationship between any visitor to the web site and Vasilatos Injury Law. Communication with Vasilatos Injury Law through this web site does not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship with Vasilatos Injury Law. An attorney-client relationship with Vasilatos Injury Law can be formed only pursuant to a mutual agreement memorialized in writing.

Leave a Comment

Related Posts

When A Manufacturer Causes A Car Accident, What Can You Do?

Manufacturers don’t always publicize their recalls, so you may be driving a car that’s not exactly safe. This is why you should frequently check for...

How to Handle an Uber or Lyft Car Accident?

Getting in a car accident is one of the most stressful situations you could ever find yourself in. However, keeping your wits about you, and taking...