Do you have a workers’ compensation case? Download this checklist.

Please complete the form below to download a copy of our workers’ compensation case checklist.
  • - -
  • Is workers’ compensation insurance required by law in Illinois?

    Illinois law expects business owners to give workers’ compensation insurance to nearly everybody who is employed, harmed, or whose employment is in the state of Illinois. Sole owners, business partners, corporate officers, and individuals from limited liability organizations may excluded themselves. The average estimation, is that 91% of Illinois employees are covered by the workers’ compensation act. A business that purposely and unshakably neglects to get protection can be fined up to $500 for each day of neglect, with a base fine of $10,000. Corporate officers can be held at risk if the organization neglects to pay the workers’ compensation penalty.

  • What does employer’s liability insurance coverage consist of?

    Employer liability insurance protects the employer from potential legal battles. This mainly covers employer negligence claims from the employee.

  • What does workers’ compensation insurance cover?

    Workers’ compensation provides you with essential benefits regarding on the job injuries and/or occupational disease. This generally includes surgical, medical and hospital treatment, including vocational rehabilitation where applicable. Workers’ comp insurance also ensures compensation during the recovery process when you are unable to work, and also in the occurrence of permanent injuries or disability. Click here to learn more and see all work injuries covered by workers’ compensation insurance.

  • Do self-employed or independent contractors need workers’ compensation insurance?

    Workers’ compensation insurance is usually not required for 1099 independent contractors. This is because they are considered to be self employed. However, in certain situations self-employed or independent contractors might want to purchase a personal workers’ compensation policy.

  • How much time do I have to file a claim?

    Preferably, you should notify your direct manager, supervisor or employer of a work-related injury and/or occupational disease as soon as you become aware of it. In the event of an accident, report the time, date, place and circumstances. While there are other time examinations, you should report your injury to your employer no later than 45 days from the date on which the injury occurred.

  • Does my employer get to choose my doctor?

    An injured employee is usually given the option to choose between two doctors. Generally, the employer or insurance company should pay for related, reasonable and unavoidable treatment as determined by the doctor, as well as any physicians or hospitals to whom that doctor refers the injured worker.

  • What constitutes permanent disability?

    Permanent disability is the complete or partial loss of a part of the body, or loss of use of the body as a whole. Essentially, when the injured worker is unable to do things with a body part that he or she was able to do before the injury. Compensation for Permanent Disability depends upon the body part and the extent of the damage from the injury. For specifics, please contact Vasilatos Injury Law for further explanation.

  • Does it matter whose fault an accident was?

    Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system. Benefits are available regardless of who or what caused the work-related accident.

  • Can my employer punish me for seeking workers’ compensation?

    Employers and insurance companies are prohibited by law from discriminating against an employee for filing a workers’ compensation claim.

  • What can I do while I wait for my claim to be processed?

    While workers’ compensation benefits are temporarily denied or in litigation, you may be able to seek interim assistance from Illinois Public Aid, State Unemployment Insurance, or Social Security Disability.

  • What are the steps to take when injured at work?

    If you are injured at work you need to follow these steps as quickly as possible:
    1. Seek a personal doctor and receive an assessment.
    2. Hire a qualified workers’ compensation attorney.
    3. Notify your immediate supervisor, manager or superior about the injury.

    • With more than 20 years of experience, we understand the urgency of your case. That’s why we offer consultations at your home, hospital or simply via phone to meet your schedule needs. 
    • To learn more about our areas of expertise, or to discuss your workers’ compensation claim with a Chicago workers’ compensation lawyer, contact Vasilatos Injury Law today. We have three offices, in Chicago, Flossmoor, and Evanston, and we’ll help you get back on your feet.