Trusted Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Markham
If you get hurt at work, there are a lot of things to process afterwards—how to pay your medical bills, what to do about missed work, and depending on the injury, whether you’ll have lasting damage from it. At Vasilatos Injury Law, we strive to help Markham residents who need reliable workers’ compensation attorneys to fight for the compensation they deserve.
No matter what the circumstances are of your incident, we have the experience and expertise to follow your claim through so that you can get back to your normal life as soon as possible. When you get injured at work, you need to know how to most efficiently process your claim, and it’s essential to know certain things like the statue of limitations for work injuries, when you need to report various things, and what files you need to keep copies of. At Vasilatos, we make sure our clients are informed and understand everything about their cases.
Types of Common Workplace Injuries
When you’re trying to figure out whether you need help from a workers’ compensation law firm, it can be helpful to have a working knowledge of what some of the most common workplace injuries are. Many injuries may make you think you won’t qualify for compensation, when in reality, you may be eligible for benefits after all. Learn more about the most frequently occurring injuries that happen while people are on the job:
- Workplace assaults: These can happen between coworkers or if a patron becomes aggressive and attacks.
- Repetitive motion: Caused by constantly performing the same action day-in and day-out, repetitive motion injuries (such as those caused by typing) can lead to things like carpal tunnel syndrome, or muscle strain, which causes injury.
- Struck by object: Injuries that occur when a person is struck by a falling object or an object dropped by someone else.
- Fall to lower level: Injuries sustained by falling off of something like a ladder or a roof, or falling down a set of stairs.
- Overexertion: Considered the most common workplace injury, overexertion injuries are related to pushing and pulling, lifting and carrying, throwing and holding.
- Slip and fall: Slips and falls can cause lasting damage and injury, and can be caused by uncleared sidewalks during winter, uneven floor surfaces, and wet or slippery floors.
- Caught in/compressed by: These types of injuries occur in more industrial settings and typically involve employees who work with heavy-duty machinery.
- Traffic accidents: Injuries that occur as a result of being in a company vehicle or on the clock during an automotive accident.
What You Need to Know About Workers’ Compensation Cases
Some things you need to know about workers’ compensation cases is that you must fill out the proper reports as soon as possible in order to meet requirements for statutes of limitation. You’ll also need to find out what paperwork and forms to keep on hand (such as medical bills/records, incident reports, and more), and what type of compensation you are filing a claim for—compensation for permanent injuries, lost wages, or medical bill reimbursement, for example.
If you are unsure of any of these things, a work injury lawyer in Markham can help you learn more about what information you need to collect.
The Process of Filing a Work Injury Claim
Throughout the claim process, workers’ compensation attorneys assist to ensure things go smoothly and that the proper amount of benefits are sought. Filing a claim can be confusing, but a Markham work injury lawyer can be of great help.
The first step in any claim is reporting the injury to your employer. This is typically required to be completed within seven days of the incident, however the sooner it is done, the better. If you seek medical treatment, be sure to keep all medical records and bills, and be sure to inform the insurance carriers and physicians that what you are dealing with is a work-related injury. This is essential, as your employer may have designated facilities or physicians for work injuries.
After the claim is processed—after the insurance carrier received reports from the employer or doctor—the insurance carrier will contact the injured party and the employer to determine the rate of pay that the injured person can receive while they are out of work. They may also determine other benefits that will be awarded. If for some reason the claim is rejected, the injured party will then have the opportunity to apply for a hearing to dispute the denial.
About Vasilatos Injury Law
Vasilatos Injury Law is a workers’ compensation law firm serving clients all over Illinois, including the Chicago Metropolitan area as well as Markham. We are dedicated to providing reliable legal representation to injured persons, and we’re committed to fighting for the compensation you deserve. We are easily accessible by public transportation, and we also provide home, hospital, and phone consultations—if you can’t come to us, we will come to you.
When you need help with a work injury in the 60426 area, you can count on Vasilatos. In addition to workers’ compensation cases, we also concentrate on personal injury cases and Social Security disability cases.
Free Consultation for Work Injury Claims
We are prepared to answer any of your questions about filing a claim, and we will provide you with the representation you need to seek the benefits you are entitled to. For a free consultation for your case, contact us today.